- n any of various protein molecules secreted by cells of the immune system that serve to regulate the immune system
- Pessimists counter that the effects of H5N1 seem to resemble those of the Spanish flu, including evidence of cytokine storms and ARDS, and note that no one can predict what a new .
- To do this, it links simultaneously to an adjacent section on CD4 known as a cytokine receptor.
- Once the virus has bound to both CD4 and the cytokine, chemical changes take place that alter the structure of the cell's membrane, and the lock .
- Richard Ulevitch in EurekAlert (press release)
The resulting beneficial effect of cytokine hyper-production runs contrary to some of the current thinking in sepsis research,Ulevitch said. "The general thinking is that this initial cytokine 'storm' is harmful, and that belief has been...