- n followers of an exclusive system of religious beliefs and practices
- n an interest followed with exaggerated zeal
- n followers of an unorthodox, extremist, or false religion or sect who often live outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader
- n a religion or sect that is generally considered to be unorthodox, extremist, or false
it was a satanic cult
- n a system of religious beliefs and rituals
devoted to the cultus of the Blessed Virgin
- Pictures of the Heaven's Gate mansion released by the San Diego sheriff's department illustrate the uniformity that defined the cult.
- A historian argues that multiculturalism threatens the ideal that binds America.
- In the arrival of Comet Hale-Bopp, the cult members saw a signal that their lives would end soon.
- Bill Donohue in Boston Globe (registration)
Catholic League president Bill Donohue said: "Hagee has waged an unrelenting war against the Catholic Church. For example, he likes calling it 'The Great Whore,' an 'apostate church,' the 'anti-Christ,' and a 'false cult system.' "
- Brian Burke in ESPN
Hockey is not a sport in Canada. It's a cult, it's a religion,Burke said Saturday. "It's why I love living and working in the NHL in a Canadian city [as GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs]. I love the pressure that's on the players and the...
- Spike Lee in International Herald Tribune
I think it's going to be a cult film. I grew up remembering the midnight shows of 'Rocky Horror,'Lee said. "I could definitely see this playing midnight shows for years."