crutch : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a wooden or metal staff that fits under the armpit and reaches to the ground; used by disabled person while walking
- n anything that serves as an expedient
he uses drugs as a psychological crutch
- Some life-hacking fans get so wrapped up in reading about efficiency that the sites become, ironically, another procrastination crutch.
- Proverbs as a literary fashion died out with the 17th Century, but still remain the spoon-fed wisdom of the unsophisticated, the crutch for halting orators, the handy rubber .
- He exhibited a few physical and verbal tics that made him look his age, including a heavy reliance on his "my friends" crutch, and seemed nervously well aware of the high stakes.
News & Articles
- Sibling fight ends in arrest, then mom assaults Lincoln County deputy, police say
Sister allegedly used gardening shears and crutch in the assault
June 12, 2013 - St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- Blotter: Careful, he's had Six Lokos
After setting two fires at his campsite near Morrison Drive, a man wearing camo pants and combat boots stood by the road and threw a crutch, a fire extinguisher, a folding chair, an American flag, and a sleeping bag into the roadway.
June 12, 2013 - Charleston City Paper
- There's At Least One Thing You Can't Say About This Morning's Bond Routing
Decoupling might be my least favorite word to describe financial markets. Almost every time I’ve ever heard any thesis about decoupling, it has turned out to be a sham in retrospect. Decoupling is a comfortable intellectual crutch, but rarely an apt description of today’s financial world.
June 11, 2013 - Business Insider
- Doc Rivers in Boston Herald
The danger is, the team you're playing on the road right now, they're really good,said Rivers. "Eventually you've got to feel you're going to break through, but you do have home-crutch, uh, homecourt. I don't think we use it as a crutch. I...
- Tom Vilsack in Washington Post
Vilsack called the presence of American troops in Iraq "both a crutch and an excuse," delaying the Iraqi government from seizing control of the country and tamping down the sectarian violence.
- Theo Epstein in San Francisco Chronicle
By the time the Yankees team got back from the trip they were all using it as a crutch,Boston general manager Theo Epstein said this spring training.