- n a harsh hoarse utterance (as of a frog)
- v pass from physical life and lose all bodily attributes and functions necessary to sustain life
- v utter a hoarse sound, like a raven
- v make complaining remarks or noises under one's breath
- You get, to quote biologist Colin Stewart, "embryos rather ignominiously dying (croaking!) around the tadpole stage.
- They're after Rana catesbeiana the North American bullfrog introduced to France in 1968 by a French aviator who liked the idea of the critters croaking in his garden.
- The crack of shots often pierces the darkness, the echoes of gunfire melting into the chorus of croaking frogs.
News & Articles
- Naturally Speaking: Remembering a little Frog Fry Magic
I was reminded of one of the finest wild food delicacies the other day while trying to find somekeepe r bluegills at Hickory Grove Lake. No, it wasn’t bluegill fillets even though they are pretty good, too. It was the distant croaking of a single bull frog that triggered some fond memories. I served an internship with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service on Upper Mississippi Wildlife Refuge during ...
July 13, 2013 - The Ames Tribune