- n a reformation intended to counter the results of a prior reformation
- It is a shocking shift in sentiment, a counterreformation of sorts in a Republican-led era that emphasizes deregulation and self-reliance.
- Jerry Brown, onetime Jesuit seminarian, believes that sin is original and selfish instincts natural, and he also suspects that America is experiencing a "counterreformation" .
- And after every reformation comes counterreformation.
- Jerry Brown in San Francisco Chronicle
Oakland Mayor Jerry Brown, who served as secretary of state under Reagan and succeeded him as governor, said Reagan "certainly embodied the conservative counterreformation that came to the fore after so many decades of liberal politics."...