- a of or relating or characteristic of actions taken by a government to defeat insurgency
- They happen because one of the things an insurgent does is attack the counterinsurgent's state of mind.
- Indeed, Bush's visit comes a day in advance of what could be a more significant event: a Baghdad-wide counterinsurgent crackdown involving tens of thousands of Iraqi troops.
- A guerrilla who has joined the government side, or a black who has been recruited as a counterinsurgent by one of the pro-government nationalist parties.
- John McCain in Washington Post
We are now executing a new counterinsurgent strategy. We have a new general in command who believes in it,McCain said during a campaign swing in Florida.
- David Petraeus in KTAL
Winning, to a counterinsurgent, Senator, means making progress, and in that regard I think we are winning but I think that it is, I think we are winning but I think that it is a slow process,General Petraeus responded.
- Martin Dempsey in US Department of Defense (press release)
Yet, "we've got to get to the point where the police are truly an element of local civil control as opposed to counterinsurgent forces," Dempsey said.