- n outer bark of the cork oak; used for stoppers for bottles etc.
- n (botany) outer tissue of bark; a protective layer of dead cells
- n a port city in southern Ireland
- n the plug in the mouth of a bottle (especially a wine bottle)
- n a small float usually made of cork; attached to a fishing line
- v close a bottle with a cork
- v stuff with cork
The baseball player stuffed his bat with cork to make it lighter
- Screwcapped wines are quickly gaining popularity, and it's got cork producers coming up with new ways to stay on top.
- The unveiling of a new noncork Champagne stopper that makes opening easier and combats taint has French winemakers wondering whether it's time for a change.
- At Deal, England, steel skeletons of houses were arising last week, were being fleshed with compressed cork, tegumented with an inch and a half of concrete from "cement guns.
News & Articles
- Do You Have the Energy to Survive This Skittish Market?
With the market bouncing about like a cork in a storm, and all manner of traps waiting to ensnare it, you'd be well-advised to revisit the energy portion of your portfolio.
June 21, 2013 - The Motley Fool
- Cork’s Cars tops Grantsville
Bryson Bittinger and Brock Lohr combined on a three-hitter to lead Cork’s Cars past Grantsville 5-3 on Wednesday.
June 20, 2013 - Cumberland Times-News
- Chef Hacks: How to Fish a Cork Out of a Wine Bottle — With a Napkin
Lo and behold, her cork. Spend enough time in a professional kitchen and you pick up plenty of MacGyver-like skills and tricks that can come in handy in all sorts of situations — techniques you only learn when you're on an undermanned, overworked line and every second counts. With that in mind, welcome to Chef Hacks, wherein each entry will be devoted to one such useful, unexpected technique ...
June 20, 2013 - New York Magazine
- Chipper Jones in The Associated Press
Any more talk of the r-word will be reserved until the end of the season,Jones said. "Somehow the cork got taken out. Well, I'm putting it back in right now.'"
- Barbara Eden in The Associated Press
She said Tuesday in a statement that "it's time for me to pop the cork and talk about the amazing people I've been fortunate enough to meet along the way."
- Jeff Bezos in Times Online
My only job at the launch was to open the champagne, and I broke the cork off in the bottle,Mr Bezos said. "Fortunately, our other valve operations went more smoothly."