- n a person who disputes; who is good at or enjoys controversy
- Ann Coulter Conservative controversialist and best-selling author.
- I happen to think Sean Penn is one of our more admirable knotheads a fearless actor, a bold controversialist and, as he proved with The Pledge, a very strong director, capable .
- There are plenty of people who long ago dismissed Fonda as a professional changeling and controversialist.
- Michael McDowell in Irish Independent
Michael McDowell told the Sunday Independent last night: "I won't go back. I will be a private citizen again. I won't be a politician, a journalist or a controversialist. The guillotine has come down."