contralto : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a woman singer having a contralto voice
- n the lowest female singing voice
- s of or being the lowest female voice
- One of the greatest concert singers of this generation is Marian Anderson, Philadelphia-born Negro contralto.
- Her voice, ranging from a mellow low contralto to a brilliant mezzo-soprano, glided through songs by Gluck, Haydn, Schubert, Rossini, Mahler, Ravel and De-Falla; the performance .
- She had a stentorian contralto and a quavering wail that grated on the ears of those attuned to the trills of opera divas.