- v make or become coarse or coarser
Their minds coarsened
- v make less subtle or refined
- s made coarse or crude by lack of skill
- Donald Rumsfeld in WILX-TV
Even in a country coarsened by skepticism, few doubted the man from Michigan would keep his word, that was his special magic,Rumsfeld said special to the country and the state he served.
- Christopher Hitchens in Huffington Post (blog)
In an earlier phase of his career, Hitchens tells us, "I resolved to try and resist in my own life the jaded reaction that makes one coarsened to the ugly habits of power."