- n a coil of low resistance and high inductance used in electrical circuits to pass direct current and attenuate alternating current
- n a valve that controls the flow of air into the carburetor of a gasoline engine
- v breathe with great difficulty, as when experiencing a strong emotion
She choked with emotion when she spoke about her deceased husband
- v be too tight; rub or press
- v wring the neck of
The man choked his opponent
- v constrict (someone's) throat and keep from breathing
- v struggle for breath; have insufficient oxygen intake
- v fail to perform adequately due to tension or agitation
The team should have won hands down but choked, disappointing the coach and the audience
- v check or slow down the action or effect of
She choked her anger
- v become or cause to become obstructed
- v impair the respiration of or obstruct the air passage of
- v become stultified, suppressed, or stifled
- v suppress the development, creativity, or imagination of
- v pass from physical life and lose all bodily attributes and functions necessary to sustain life
- v reduce the air supply
choke a carburetor
- v cause to retch or choke
- Or the Consumer Product Safety Commission, which makes sure kids don't choke on toys? Right now 1.
- It is widely accepted that without deals between the prosecutor and the accused, time-consuming trials would cause many courts to choke on overcrowded dockets.
- As his son once wrote, "Whatever he decided to serve, the victim was meant to choke it down and be grateful.
News & Articles
- Man killed friend with 'rear naked choke hold'
A New Jersey man is facing a criminal homicide charge, nearly a year after police said he killed a longtime friend with a "rear naked choke hold." Charles Derr and friend Matthew Stilwell, 53, of Richboro, got into an argument after a booze-fueled July
June 11, 2013 - The Scranton Times-Tribune
- Turkish PM Threatens to 'Choke' Foreign Speculators
Turkey faced fresh turmoil on Monday, as the lira weakened against the dollar and trading in the Istanbul stock market was delayed following a glitch. Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan warned on Sunday that he would "choke" financial market speculators.
June 10, 2013 - CNBC
- Turkey's Erdogan vows to 'choke' financial speculators
By Jonathon Burch ANKARA (Reuters) - Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan vowed on Sunday to "choke" financial market speculators who he said were growing rich off "the sweat of the people", and urged Turks to put their money in state not private banks. Speaking at a series of rallies in the capital Ankara after a week of the fiercest anti-government demonstrations in years, Erdogan blamed a ...
June 9, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Benjamin Netanyahu in Reuters India
But like all the governments there have been until now, I will have to meet the needs of natural growth in the population. I will not be able to choke the settlements,Netanyahu said.
- Joe Torre in SI.com
Everybody had a lump in their throat before the game,Yankees manager Joe Torre said. "You couldn't help but choke up."
- Serena Williams in Bloomberg
I am happy to pull it out, it was really close,Williams said. "I knew I had to get in the lead so if I choked, I had some points to choke on."