- n Russian dramatist whose plays are concerned with the difficulty of communication between people (1860-1904)
- chekhov's great drama is suddenly ubiquitous, but a new stage version falls short.
News & Articles
- Neva: Theater Review
Chilean playwright Guillermo Calderon trains his sights on the widow of Anton Chekhov in this St. Petersburg-set drama. read more
June 13, 2013 - The Hollywood Reporter
- Tony Awards: 'Kinky Boots' snags best musical, 'Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike' best play
Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike,Christopher Durang's send-up of all things Chekhov, captured the Tony Award for Best Play on Sunday, while drag queens beat outÂ English school kids as "Kinky Boots" was crowned Best Musical over "Matilda."
June 10, 2013 - Baltimore Sun
- Best Play: 'Vanya And Sonia And Masha And Spike' Wins At 2013 Tony Awards
NEW YORK — Christopher Durang's comical "Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike" has won the best play Tony Award. The play, which takes characters and themes from Anton Chekhov and sets them in present-day Pennsylvania, stars Sigourney Weaver, Kristine Nielsen and David Hyde Pierce.
June 10, 2013 - The Huffington Post
- Owen Wilson in Canada.com
I don't know how I ended up working on a lot of comedies because I had no standup comedian or class clown type background,Wilson said. "I'd be doing Chekhov and they'd be chuckling. I'd be like 'What the hell are you laughing at?'"
- Johnny Murtagh in Sportinglife.co.za
I rode Anton Chekhov to beat Royal And Regal in the Prix Hocquart at Longchamp and he looks like a lovely, big horse,said Murtagh. "I'd say he should suit the Curragh as he looks a galloping type and I'm really looking forward to riding...
- John Lahr in International Herald Tribune
The production, largely intact from the Royal Court Theater, is one that John Lahr, writing in The New Yorker, called "the finest British production of Chekhov in recent memory."