chance : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a possibility due to a favorable combination of circumstances
now is your chance
- n an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that causes an event to result one way rather than another
we ran into each other by pure chance
- n a risk involving danger
you take a chance when you let her drive
- n a measure of how likely it is that some event will occur; a number expressing the ratio of favorable cases to the whole number of cases possible
- n the possibility of future success
- v be the case by chance
I chanced to meet my old friend in the street
- v take a risk in the hope of a favorable outcome
- v come upon, as if by accident; meet with
She chanced upon an interesting book in the bookstore the other day
- s occurring or appearing or singled out by chance
a chance occurrence
- Anti-doping expert Werner Franke discusses whether clean athletes can ever really compete with cheaters, and the chances of catching a doper.
- As for the Japanese public, they will have the chance to make up their own minds about the film if The Cove is released in theaters after the festival.
- It is chance music in which nothing is left to chance -- as Cage eventually realized.
News & Articles
- Chance for more rain, storms this week
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The chance of rainy weather returns to the Charlotte area this week. The mountain and foothill regions saw rain this morning when a front moved through from the west. The National Weather Service issued a flood advisory until 7:30 a.m. for Burke and McDowell counties after heavy showers moved slowly across the region this morning. The First Warn Storm Team is tracking the ...
June 17, 2013 - WCNC Charlotte
- Chance of isolated storms, then low humidity this week
Cooler temperatures move in tonight along with a chance of scattered showers or thunderstorms, particularly in areas south of I-70, but no severe weather is expected, said Chief Meteorologist Jamie Simpson. We will start Tuesday with a chance of a stray shower, then more sun will move in, raising temperatures to the lower 80’s for areas that stay dry - a little cooler for areas that see rain ...
June 17, 2013 - WHIO-TV 7 Dayton
- Chance for storms again this afternoon, tonight
The forecast calls for a 20 percent chance of showers and storms this afternoon and a 30 percent tonight in the Tulsa area.
June 17, 2013 - Tulsa World
- Xavi Hernandez in Vancouver Sun
We dedicate this victory to Spain,said midfielder Xavi, following the German triumph. "If we play on Sunday like we did (Wednesday), we will have a great chance. We played as we wanted to. Now it's a final against Holland, a great team...
- Barack Obama in CNN
Now, more American consumers will have the chance to purchase newer, more fuel efficient cars and the American economy will continue to get a much-needed boost,President Obama said in a statement.