- n soreness or irritation of the skin caused by friction
- v become or make sore by or as if by rubbing
- v feel extreme irritation or anger
He was chafing at her suggestion that he stay at home while she went on a vacation
- v cause annoyance in; disturb, especially by minor irritations
- v tear or wear off the skin or make sore by abrading
- v cause friction
- v warm by rubbing, as with the hands
- Lamont was the suffering grown-up, dreaming of building up the family business (or ditching it and moving out) and chafing at having to keep Fred out of trouble.
- Corpsman changed ankle bandages to prevent chafing.
- Clinton, still chafing over being kept on the sidelines, rejected any responsibility for Gore's loss.
- Raja Bell in SI.com
My nail splits under there every three games from the ball just chafing it,said Suns guard Raja Bell, showing a mangled nail on his index finger.
- Chris Hadfield in CJAD
You're fighting the suit all the time and it's pushing and chafing on you. You come out of it bruised and bloodied normally, and you've rubbed yourself raw in various places,Hadfield said.
- Ernie Chambers in Omaha World-Herald (registration)
If this were an issue of representation, I would have led the way,Sen. Ernie Chambers of Omaha said. "There are people in Elkhorn who are still chafing, who are still angry and who are still bitter. Doing this is not going to do away with...