captain : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n an officer holding a rank below a major but above a lieutenant
- n the naval officer in command of a military ship
- n a policeman in charge of a precinct
- n an officer who is licensed to command a merchant ship
- n the leader of a group of people
a captain of industry
- n the pilot in charge of an airship
- n a dining-room attendant who is in charge of the waiters and the seating of customers
- v be the captain of a sports team
- The name of the tanker and its captain became synonymous with environmental catastrophe.
- British audiences were, titillated early this year by a new film farce called The Captain's Table, which chronicled the social perils of a luxury-liner captain adrift in a sea.
- A new captain was appointed, and a judge was asked to inquire into the affair.
News & Articles
- Rugby-Australia captain Horwill cited for stamping in Lions test
BRISBANE, June 23 (Reuters) - Australia captain James Horwill has been cited for stamping during the loss to the British and Irish Lions in the first test and will face a judiciary hearing on Sunday, the Australian Rugby Union said. The 28-year-old lock was cited for allegedly stamping or trampling on Lions counterpart Alun Wyn Jones in the third minute of the match at Lang Park on Saturday. The ...
June 22, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! Sports
- 'Captain America' Set Photos Show A Spoiler-Heavy Reunion
New photos from the set of "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" have arrived online thanks to the Cleveland Heights Patch, showing a new side of an old friend for the very first time. We'll say no more until after the jump. Suffice it to say, spoilers ahead. The Patch reports that filming was taking place [...]
June 21, 2013 - MTV
- Captain D's reportedly to be put up for sale
Captain D's owner could be looking to hook a buyer for the Donelson-based seafood restaurant chain.
June 20, 2013 - The Tennessean
- Patrice Evra in The Associated Press
I am grateful to the Marines who pursued the information that led to Captain Speicher's recovery so that he can now come home. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, and I hope that the recovery of his remains will bring them a needed sense... Barack Obama http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHQ0yfPaaXFGqLKymRgcres0I2nuA ABC News http://www.google.com/url?q=http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story%3Fid%3D8234354%26page%3D1&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHmsHBdIEjGDhKnsWFyuQmOFnWn7w Aug 2, 2009
15005 20690 captain This apology should have been made yesterday, but my coach stopped me doing it as a captain, and that hurts even more," Evra said. "The whole of France needs to have an explanation for this disaster. It's not the time to give them, but I...
- Shane Warne in Times Online
If Ricky Ponting [the Australia captain] came to me and said, 'Mate, can you please help us out for this one-off tour because we need you,' that is something I would weigh up,Warne said.