- v declare (a dead person) to be a saint
After he was shown to have performed a miracle, the priest was canonized
- v treat as a sacred person
He canonizes women
- Hundreds of biographies uncritically canonize him.
- The Union of Workers and Employees of the Food Industry cabled a request to Pope Pius XII to canonize Evita.
- Still, nothing in recent times has quite equaled the blitz of language that has been employed by the White House to certify and canonize the success of the Cambodian venture.
- Joe Biden in International Herald Tribune
Biden said the priests at his Catholic school taught him to be a fan of the Green Bay Packers because of their ties to northeast Wisconsin, joking they were "prepared to canonize" coach Vince Lombardi.
- Erica Jong in Washington Post
Oprah was furious about that article,author Erica Jong told Kelley, "and she told me she did not want anyone writing about her, especially a white woman for a white publication. 'I don't need a honky magazine to canonize me,' she said."