- a appearing in a biblical canon
a canonical book of the Christian New Testament
- a of or relating to or required by canon law
- s reduced to the simplest and most significant form possible without loss of generality
a canonical syllable pattern
- s conforming to orthodox or recognized rules
the drinking of cocktails was as canonical a rite as the mixing"- Sinclair Lewis
- Most effective of all is a bittersweet canonic letter duet for Marcus (Don Kehr) and his home-front brother Homer (Stephen Geoffreys) that develops into a touching antiwar choral .
- Or in the development section of Beethoven's Eroica symphony, I'm not sure the audience is hearing everythingthe different modulations, the canonic effects.
- He lavishes some of his most beautiful music on it, including an exquisite canonic quintet in the second act, and, more noteworthy, an extended instrumental section at the end that .