- n stick of wax with a wick in the middle
- n the basic unit of luminous intensity adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites; equal to 1/60 of the luminous intensity per square centimeter of a black body radiating at the temperature of 2,046 degrees Kelvin
- v examine eggs for freshness by holding them against a light
- Candle Power Iran mourns America's dead September 18, 2001: Ordinary Iranians hold candles during a vigil in Terhan to mourn the loss of life in .
- In shrines throughout the Roman Catholic world, millions of silent, smoky candles burn out their brief lives.
- The powers of candlelight have long been part of Everywoman's arsenal.
News & Articles
- Unattended candle blamed for mobile home blaze in north Lubbock
Fire Marshal's Office investigating mobile home blaze suspect an unattended candle sparked the fire Tuesday morning, June 11, in north Lubbock.
June 11, 2013 - Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
- Family, friends remember deceased teenagers at candlelight vigil
La PORTE - A candle vigil, comprised of mostly teenagers who were notified of it on Facebook, made its way around the 500 block of East Lincoln Way to mourn for the deaths of Ethan Day, 20, of La Porte and a 17-year-old girl, from Dyer, Ind., known by friends as "Cricket" on Wednesday night.
June 11, 2013 - The Michigan City News-Dispatch
- Candle found burning under bed in Paw Paw house fire prompts investigation
The Paw Paw Fire Department extinguished a kitchen fire at a house on M-43 Saturday night. "We also found a candle burning under a bed after we had gotten the main fire put out," Chief Jim DeGroff said.
June 10, 2013 - The Kalamazoo Gazette
- Ian McKellen in International Herald Tribune
If it's a distraction of that sort, it's not worth the candle,McKellen told a meeting of the Television Critics Association on Wednesday.
- Drew Barrymore in CNN
For three years straight, I've been burning the candle at both ends, and as of last December, I just didn't have anything left,Elle's August cover girl, 35, says.
- Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone in USA Today
I say to all those who are listening, light the candle of peace inside yourself, light the candle of welcoming and understanding that will help you listen and share the cry of the poor and of those who suffer,Bertone said.