canaries : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a group of mountainous islands in the Atlantic off the northwest coast of Africa forming Spanish provinces
- n someone acting as an informer or decoy for the police
- n a female singer
- n a moderate yellow with a greenish tinge
- n any of several small Old World finches
- To teach canaries to sing, trainers spend laborious months playing flutes, violins, water organs, chimes.
- Live canaries, which used to be carried down into coal mines as sentinels against firedamp, are not often stationed in modern chemical laboratories.
- He feeds his canaries lemon pie, provides little ladders for mice, and is sad when a favorite cockroach named He-Who-Leaps is eaten (he fears) by a favorite mouse named Patsy.
News & Articles
- Norwich City: Ola Toivonen Could Be Next to Join
The Norwich Evening News is reporting that the Canaries will finally be free to open talks with Swedish star Ola Toivonen . It has been reported for some time that the club has agreed a fee just shy of £5 million for the talented forward. Of course, there is no guarantee that the player will join, but he has admitted to finding the Premier League interesting, and Norwich City appear to be ...
June 18, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- Sox rally for another win
The Sox score three runs in the bottom of the eighth to overtake the Canaries, 5-4 at Amarillo National Bank Sox Stadium. With 2,626 in attendance, the Saturday evening affair lasted two hours and thirty two minutes. Both teams would use five different pitchers in a back and forth battle.
June 16, 2013 - KVII 7 Amarillo
- Canaries complete streak in victory
After playing 22 games in 22 days, the Canaries finally got to enjoy a good-old fashioned getaway day Wednesday at the Birdcage, and they came away with a 4-1 win in front of 3,130 mostly young fans on 'Kids Day' at the ballpark.
June 13, 2013 - The Argus Leader
- Achim Steiner in Washington Post
There are many canaries emerging in the climate change coal mine,UNEP's executive director Achim Steiner said in a statement. "The glaciers are perhaps among those making the most noise and it is absolutely essential that everyone sits up...
- Martha Stewart in Earthtimes (press release)
Martha Stewart, Founder of MSLO, stated: "I have been passionate about pets all my life and over the years have been fortunate to share my home with many dogs, cats, and canaries. I understand why people consider their pets to be members of their...
- Roger Ebert in First Showing (blog)
It is not about the disappearance of film critics. We are the canaries,Ebert says. "The celebrity culture is infantilizing us. We are being trained not to think."