calving : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n giving birth to a calf
- v release ice
- v birth
- Three years ago, the Ross Ice Shelf started calving icebergs so big that they invited comparison with Massachusetts and Connecticut, and some of these bergs including C-19 .
- What may be most interesting about this saga, though, is that after stock prices tumbled from 2000 to 2002 and another bull market was calving, broad-based stock-option plans began .
- Spring calving hasn't yet begun, and there are many pregnant cows stranded chest deep or deeper in the snow.
News & Articles
- Climate: Ocean melting Antarctic ice shelves from beneath
Study says iceberg calving a smaller factor in ongoing ice loss By Summit Voice SUMMIT COUNTY — Supporting the conclusions of several previous research efforts, a new study published this week in Science provides additional evidence that Antarctica’s ice shelves are melting from beneath. Warmer ocean waters — not icebergs calving into the sea — […]
June 14, 2013 - Summit County Citizens Voice
- Basal Melt Responsible For Antarctic Ice Shelf Loss
redOrbit Staff & Wire Reports - Your Universe Online The majority of Antarctica’s ice loss is caused by warm ocean waters eating away at the undersides of ice shelves, not the sudden release and breaking away of ice masses from glaciers (a process known as calving), according to new research appearing in Friday’s edition of the journal Science . In what is being called “the first comprehensive ...
June 14, 2013 - redOrbit
- Warm ocean drives most Antarctic ice shelf loss
Ocean waters melting the undersides of Antarctic ice shelves, not icebergs calving into the sea, are responsible for most of the continent's ice loss, a new study has found.
June 13, 2013 - Science Daily
- Bill Ritter in The Coloradoan
I'm pushing our (congressional) delegation to do everything possible to assist our farmers and ranchers,Ritter said in a news release. "The losses will only get worse as more storms hit, as the snow melts and as calving seasons begins. Our...
- Glenn in Tulsa Beacon
Today's cows are not the type your grandfather was used to raising,said Glenn Selk, OSU Cooperative Extension livestock reproduction specialist. "To expect large, heavy milking cows to be in moderate body condition at calving and maintain...
- Brent Sutter in Edmonton Sun
This year, we'll be calving out around 375 head of cows,said Sutter. "To be involved in this industry you've got to know about cattle, how to drive machinery and upkeep it and mend fences. Growing up in Viking, we had cattle, pigs,...