- n the era of Islam's ascendancy from the death of Mohammed until the 13th century; some Moslems still maintain that the Moslem world must always have a calif as head of the community
- n the territorial jurisdiction of a caliph
- n the office of a caliph
- Bin Laden may have imagined that 911 would anoint him the head of a resurgent caliphate in the making, but instead it has reduced him and his movement to a life of duck-and-cover .
- But by the 1980s, a reaction would set in, and the cause of the caliphate eventually would be taken up by, among others, Osama bin Laden.
- By that ornately twisted logic, though, one might add that it was the martyrdom of Hussein in the year 680, beheaded at Karbala in a clash with the caliphate, that gave rise to .
News & Articles
- Farewell, ataturk
Istanbul For centuries, Ottoman sultans dreamed of conquest in the name of Islam. When they failed on the battlefield they sought glory in building mosques. Eighty years after the Caliphate was abolished to make way for a Western-style republic, the tradition is being revived by Turkey’s current leaders. Led...
June 27, 2013 - New York Post
- Power struggle underway in rebel-held Syrian town
BEIRUT (AP) — A slogan painted in small letters on a school wall reads, "We the people want Syria to be a civil, democratic state." Scrawled next to it in bigger letters is the response from an unknown Islamic hard-liner: "The laws of the civil state contradict the Islamic caliphate."
June 26, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Rebel capture of Syrian city leads to power struggle between moderates and extremists
BEIRUT — A slogan painted in small letters on a school wall reads, "We the people want Syria to be a civil, democratic state." Scrawled next to it in bigger letters is the response from an unknown Islamic hard-liner: "The laws of the civil state contradict the Islamic caliphate."
June 26, 2013 - Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune
- Mitt Romney in Boston Herald
It's this century's nightmare, Jihadism - violent, radical Islamic fundamentalism,Romney says to the camera from the yard outside his Belmont, Mass., home. "Their goal is to unite the world under a single Jihadist caliphate. To do that,...
- President Bush in Consortium News
For instance, in a Sept. 5, 2006, speech, Bush declared, "This caliphate would be a totalitarian Islamic empire encompassing all current and former Muslim lands, stretching from Europe to North Africa, the Middle East, and Southeast Asia," Bush...
- Vice President Dick Cheney in Sydney Morning Herald
TERRORISTS' ultimate aim is to establish "a caliphate covering a region from Spain, across North Africa, through the Middle East and South Asia, all the way to Indonesia -and it wouldn't stop there," the US Vice-President, Dick Cheney, warned...