- n United States comedian and film actor (1896-1996)
- n celebrated Scottish poet (1759-1796)
- n pain that feels hot as if it were on fire
- n a browning of the skin resulting from exposure to the rays of the sun
- n an injury caused by exposure to heat or chemicals or radiation
- n a place or area that has been burned (especially on a person's body)
- n damage inflicted by fire
- v destroy by fire
- v shine intensely, as if with heat
- v undergo combustion
Maple wood burns well
- v cause a sharp or stinging pain or discomfort
- v cause to burn or combust
- v feel strong emotion, especially anger or passion
- v cause to undergo combustion
The car burns only Diesel oil
- v burn at the stake
- v spend (significant amounts of money)
- v feel hot or painful
- v burn, sear, or freeze (tissue) using a hot iron or electric current or a caustic agent
- v get a sunburn by overexposure to the sun
- v create by duplicating data
- v use up (energy)
- v burn with heat, fire, or radiation
- To fight severe burns, modern medicine has experimented with all kinds of remediestannic acid (now in some disrepute), bandaging, baths, skin grafting, diet, even hypnosis.
- Of all bodily injuries, few are more traumatic than burns.
- Accidental burns among small children are common enough that some hospitals staff special wards to treat them.
News & Articles
- Research and Markets: Burns Partnering 2007-2013
Research and Markets has announced the addition of the "Burns Partnering 2007-2013" report to their offering.
June 12, 2013 - Business Wire via Yahoo! Finance
- John Horne Burns, the Great (Gay) Novelist You’ve Never Heard Of
The forgotten saga of John Horne Burns and his intemperate World War II masterpiece.
June 11, 2013 - New York Times
- Mary Joan Burns
Mary Joan Burns, 81, of Lorain, passed away Saturday, June 8, 2013 at her home, surrounded by her family under the care of New Life Hospice. The Burns family will receive family and friends Wednesday, June 12, 2013 from 4 to 8 P.M. in the Dovin and Reber Jones Funeral & Cremation Center, 1110 Cooper [...] The post Mary Joan Burns appeared first on Chronicle-Telegram . Click here to read this ...
June 11, 2013 - The Chronicle-Telegram
- Justine Henin in New York Times
The fire within burns again,the 27-year-old Henin said in an interview with VTM television. "The last 15 months, I've been able to recharge the batteries, emotionally as well."