- n an embankment built around a space for defensive purposes
- n a fencelike structure around a deck (usually plural)
- n a protective structure of stone or concrete; extends from shore into the water to prevent a beach from washing away
- v defend with a bulwark
- Says Energy Minister Ali Rodrguez, "Hugo Chvez has been the most effective bulwark against the country's social explosion.
- Huang, currently a visiting fellow at the University of Singapore's East Asia Institute, says there is a huge bulwark of entrenched officials (in the United Front Work Department .
- Three years later, hundreds of Navy seabees arrived by ship and began pouring out the 12,000-foot runway that would become a bulwark of American Cold War strategy in the region .
News & Articles
- Gulf Arabs pledge sanctions against Hezbollah members over Syria
DUBAI (Reuters) - Gulf Arab states on Monday promised sanctions against members of the Lebanese Shi'ite militant group Hezbollah in retaliation for its intervention in Syria's civil war in support of President Bashar al-Assad. Both Sunni and Shi'ite Arab states long backed Hezbollah as a bulwark against Israel, but the Arab League, heavily influenced by Sunni-led Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Qatar ...
June 10, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Environment: Extreme anti-environmental Republicans once again on the march against endangered species protections
The words change, but the song remains the same — and it’s all about money By Bob Berwyn SUMMIT COUNTY — Radical anti-environmental House Republicans are once again on the march against endangered species protections. In a hearing this week, the GOP renewed its attacks against the bulwark environmental law, retreading the same arguments that […]
June 7, 2013 - Summit County Citizens Voice
- Obama's Covert Trade Deal
The United States is negotiating a wide-ranging trade agreement with Pacific Rim nations as a bulwark against China's rising economic influence.
June 6, 2013 - The Globalist
- Barack Obama in Washington Post
Religion is a bulwark, a foundation when other things aren't going well,Obama said. "That's true in my own life, through trials and tribulations. And so what I was referring to was in no way demeaning a faith that I, myself, embrace."
- Rudy Giuliani in Washington Post
The minute you start listing the circumstances under which you're going to pull out you start talking about defeat,Giuliani said. "What we have to achieve in Iraq is a government and a situation that acts as a bulwark against terrorism...
- Iftikhar Mohammed Chaudhry in Guardian Unlimited
Addressing a televised, packed seminar on the separation of government powers, Chaudhry, who was suspended two months ago, called judicial independence a "bulwark against abuse of power."