- n infectious bacterial disease of human beings transmitted by contact with infected animals or infected meat or milk products; characterized by fever and headache
- n an infectious disease of domestic animals often resulting in spontaneous abortion; transmittable to human beings
- To combat brucellosis, a disease found in bison that causes abortions, infertility and reduced milk production when transmitted to cattle, Montana officials are permitted to shoot .
- Case in point: Last year, a bio-lab worker at Texas AM University became infected with the deadly brucellosis virus.
- The strain of brucellosis found in bison may not be virulent enough to pose a significant risk to domestic cattle.
News & Articles
- Elk-brucellosis working group to review last winter's activities
The working group that recently developed elk management options in areas where the transmission of brucellosis between elk and livestock is a concern will meet in Bozeman July 11 to review the results of last winter’s activities.
June 22, 2013 - Helena Independent Record
- Brian Schweitzer in Helena Independent Record
We are concerned about our brucellosis free status,Gov. Brian Schweitzer said. "Federal and state agencies are investigating the test results now and we will continue to work toward solutions to keep Montana's brucellosis free status."
- Dave Freudenthal in Forbes
I don't want to end up where the state of Montana is and lose our brucellosis-free status,Gov. Dave Freudenthal said at a Wednesday press conference. "But we've worked our way through that problem before, and we'll work our way through it...
- Michelle Gildernew in Belfast Telegraph
Ms Gildernew said: "DARD (Department of Agriculture and Rural Development) is currently investigating an incident where we believe we have evidence that a brucellosis reactor, a dun Charolais-type cow, giving an extremely high reaction to the BR...