- n small chimpanzee of swamp forests in Zaire; a threatened species
- The sociable, sexual bonobo finds safe haven in one of the most war-torn parts of the world.
- But there's been no hint even of romance, let alone the bonobo orgies I've read about.
- Bonobo society is one in which behavioral limits are set, the peace is generally kept, and transgressors are quickly punished.
News & Articles
- Memphis Zoo Welcomes Baby Bonobo
Visitors can now see the baby bonobo on exhibit, across from the hippo exhibit.
June 12, 2013 - WREG-TV Memphis
- Bonobo ape born at Memphis Zoo
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — The Memphis Zoo says a bonobo ape was born there on Mother's Day. The zoo said Tuesday that the bonobo was born to parents "Kiri" and "Mofana" on May 12, but the sex of the baby is not yet known. Zookeepers and veterinarians will determine the sex of the youngster in coming weeks. Bonobos are a member of the greater ape family and look similar to chimpanzees. Matt Thompson ...
June 11, 2013 - WDEF Chattanooga
- Baby Bonobo Born at Memphis Zoo, Now on Exhibit
The Memphis Zoo announced the successful birth of a baby bonobo, the second in the zoo's history.
June 11, 2013 - Eyewitness News Memphis
- Frans de Waal in Wired News
Now that actual observations have been made, the issue is much clearer, and it changes our perception of bonobo social organization and socio-ecology,said Frans de Waal, a Yerkes National Primate Research Center psychologist who has studied...