blackout : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a suspension of radio or tv broadcasting
- n darkness resulting from the extinction of lights (as in a city invisible to enemy aircraft)
- n the failure of electric power for a general region
- n a momentary loss of consciousness
- n partial or total loss of memory
he has a total blackout for events of the evening
- For manufacturers of auxiliary power generators, the effect of last month's blackout in the Northeast has been a surge of orders.
- There's nothing like a multistate summertime blackout to get environmentalists and industry groups throwing spitballs at one another.
- First the good news: the biggest blackout ever in North America brought out the best in millions of citizens.
News & Articles
- Cage-free 'Portlandia' renewed
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- In the last season of "Portlandia," the mayor of this sustainability-obsessed city vanished in shame after he was singled out as Portland's "No. 1 electricity hog," Portland went into a blackout, cats barked, creepy music played, and a bizarre Australian who calls himself "Birdman" told guests at a bed and breakfast "there is no civilization."
June 13, 2013 - NBC NEWS
- O'Day, Guiney to compete on 'Total Blackout'
NEW YORK, June 10 (UPI) -- Aubrey O'Day, Bob Guiney, Erin Way and Neil Grayston are to appear on a special celebrity edition of the U.S. game show "Total Blackout," Syfy announced Monday.
June 11, 2013 - UPI
- Scotia Street Substation To Blame For Back Bay Blackout
NStar confirms a big blackout in the Back Bay has left 12,000 customers without power.
June 9, 2013 - CBS Boston
- Mackenzie Phillips in Popeater
Had this happened before? I didn't know. All I can say is it was the first time I was aware of it. For a moment I was in my body, in that horrible truth, and then I slid back into a blackout,Phillips adds.
- Ed Koch in Washington Post
There were three things that were bad for the city: First was the blackout and the looting,recalled Ed Koch, who was running to unseat incumbent Mayor Abe Beame. "Second was the fear in the city with the Son of Sam. And third was Howard...
- Leona Lewis in In Entertainment (blog)
Speaking to British newspaper The Sun, Lewis said: "When I fell down the lift shaft it was a bit scary. I was lucky not to get injured. Fortunately it happened during a blackout on set so it didn't affect the show and none of the audience saw...