belay : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n something to which a mountain climber's rope can be secured
- v turn a rope round an object or person in order to secure it or him
- v fasten a boat to a bitt, pin, or cleat
- Avast! belay that or there!, bottle it!, break it off!, can it!, cheese it!, cheezit!, chuck it!, come off (of it)!, come off the grass!, curl up!, cut it (out) !, douse it .
- Here's yet another, belay that, original thought th' Lord forbid we do original thinkin' round here ala Wikipedia let us run th' exchange like SSI where once ye're on th .
- But my brother had held the belay, and they came back closer.
News & Articles
- Training to save lives
Burlington firefighter Andy Brown (left) releases tension on a weighted rope anchored by a belay during a confined space rescue training exercise Tuesday at Sedro-Woolley Fire Station One.
June 26, 2013 - Anacortes American