- n a broadax used as a weapon
- n a sharp-tongued domineering wife
- It is with another teacher, Barbara (Judi Dench), who is their school's battle-ax--cruel disciplinarian, cynical commentator on the hopelessness of its lower-class student body and .
- In Hotel Paradiso Bert Lahr is married to a battle-ax, and somehow gets out from under her thumb to seek sin with a beautiful blonde lady.
- Blandings Castle is the scene; present are Lord Emsworth, who resembles a heap of old clothes in the moonlight, his prize pig, his battle-ax of a sister and various featherbrained .
- Matthew Broderick in New York Times
You would think that Trixie Norton would be some kind of battle-ax in person, but Joyce is so elegant and thin and pretty,the actor Matthew Broderick said later, when asked about his first meeting with Miss Randolph a few years back.