bars : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n gymnastic apparatus consisting of two parallel wooden rods supported on uprights
- n a room or establishment where alcoholic drinks are served over a counter
- n a counter where you can obtain food or drink
- n a rigid piece of metal or wood; usually used as a fastening or obstruction or weapon
there were bars in the windows to prevent escape
- n musical notation for a repeating pattern of musical beats
the orchestra omitted the last twelve bars of the song
- n an obstruction (usually metal) placed at the top of a goal
- n the act of preventing
- n (meteorology) a unit of pressure equal to a million dynes per square centimeter
- n a submerged (or partly submerged) ridge in a river or along a shore
- n the body of individuals qualified to practice law in a particular jurisdiction
- n a narrow marking of a different color or texture from the background
a green toad with small black stripes or bars
- n a block of solid substance (such as soap or wax)
- n a portable .30 caliber automatic rifle operated by gas pressure and fed by cartridges from a magazine; used by United States troops in World War I and in World War II and in the Korean War
- n a horizontal rod that serves as a support for gymnasts as they perform exercises
- n a heating element in an electric fire
an electric fire with three bars
- n (law) a railing that encloses the part of the courtroom where the judges and lawyers sit and the case is tried
- v prevent from entering; keep out
- v render unsuitable for passage
- v expel, as if by official decree
- v secure with, or as if with, bars
- Located on the banks of Lake Houhai, East Shore is a refuge from the trinket sellers and gaudy bars along the crowded shore.
- Young men with crew cuts still loiter in bars, fondling Filipina and Russian women, or paying for lap dances.
- The cycle didn't make sense at first to Lucie work in a bar for five hours and then go out to more bars and clubs to unwind but after spending whole nights pretending to .
News & Articles
- Top Bars For Foodies In Denver
The bars and restaurants listed here are not only Denver hot spots but also have been named by celebrities as some their favorite food destinations as well.
June 13, 2013 - CBS Denver
- Best Bars For Foodies In Pittsburgh
With hundreds of bars in the heart of the city and its nearby neighborhoods, Pittsburgh may be best-known as a drinking town, but these very watering holes also offer some of the city's best bites.
June 13, 2013 - CBS Pittsburgh
- Hobbs Woman Behind Bars For Involvement in String of Recent Credit Card Thefts
A Hobbs woman remains behind bars for her involvement in a string of recent credit card thefts. 21-year-old Laura Bernal and three other people have been arrested for using those stolen cards.
June 13, 2013 - News West 9 Midland
- Suge Knight in The Associated Press
My whole thing is: I'm not here to put nobody behind bars,Knight said Friday, saying he mainly wanted to put the specter of rap-related violence to rest.
- Al Jean in International Herald Tribune
The Fox network would not comment, but "Simpsons" executive producer Al Jean said the message wasn't authorized by the show, which has never "endorsed any religion, philosophy or system of beliefs any more profound than Butterfinger bars."