barbary : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a region of northern Africa on the Mediterranean coast between Egypt and Gibraltar; was used as a base for pirates from the 16th to 19th centuries
News & Articles
- Buddies Help Monkeys to Survive Tough Times
When it comes to friendship it may be quantity, not quality, that matters -- at least for Barbary macaques in a crisis. Scientists have long known that sociable humans live longer than their solitary peers , but is the same true for animals? [More]
June 26, 2013 - Scientific American
- Alberto Gonzales in Hartford Courant
When the Barbary pirates were raiding US vessels, Thomas Jefferson didn't seek to file criminal charges, he used the United States armed forces to fight back,Gonzales said. "When Pancho Villa's followers raided New Mexico, Woodrow Wilson...
- Antonin Scalia in The Daily Deal
Scalia wrote: "While there is no reason to believe that the United States has become the Barbary Coast for those perpetrating frauds on foreign securities markets, some fear that it has become the Shangri-la of class-action litigation for lawyers...
- Thomas Jefferson in Town Hall
America would not be bullied, Jefferson told Congress: "The style of the demand admitted but one answer. I sent a small squadron of frigates into the Mediterranean The Barbary states quickly capitulated. But there were larger battles yet to come."