- n any shrub or tree of the genus Banksia having alternate leathery leaves apetalous yellow flowers often in showy heads and conelike fruit with winged seeds
- Here and there a scarlet burst of desert pea catches the eye, and the soft orange of the acorn banksia glows above creamy white smokebush along the road, but this season's .
- Huge flowers adorn gnarled banksia trees so old they would have been sprouting when Caley passed by.
- John Howard in Sydney Morning Herald
I am delighted that this award recognises the positive contribution by members of the community to protect Australia's natural and cultural heritage,Mr Howard said. "Congratulations to all Banksia finalists on your exceptional contribution...
- May Gibbs in The Australian
I was out walking, over in Western Australia, with my cousins,Gibbs said in an interview. "We came to a grove of banksia trees and sitting on almost every branch were these ugly . . . wicked little men."