- n the major mountain range of Bulgaria and the Balkan Peninsula
- n a large peninsula in southeastern Europe containing the Balkan Mountain Range
- n the Balkan countries collectively
- n an inhabitant of the Balkan Peninsula
News & Articles
- Notice to Congress -- Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to the Western Balkans
NOTICE - - - - - - - CONTINUATION OF THE NATIONAL EMERGENCY WITH RESPECT TO THE WESTERN BALKANS On June 26, 2001, by Executive Order 13219, the President declared a national emergency with respect to the Western Balkans, pursuant to the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (50 U.S.C. 1701-1706), to deal with the unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy ...
June 17, 2013 - The White House
- Egypt seen to give nod toward jihadis on Syria
CAIRO (AP) — Under Hosni Mubarak's rule, Egypt's authorities took a tough line on Egyptians coming home after waging "jihad" in places like Afghanistan, Chechnya or the Balkans, fearing they would bring back extremist ideology, combat experience and a thirst for regime change. In most cases, they were imprisoned and tortured.
June 16, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Morsi's new tough tone on Syria raises concerns of a nod to jihadi fighters
CAIRO — Under Hosni Mubarak's rule, Egypt's authorities took a tough line on Egyptians coming home after waging "jihad" in places like Afghanistan, Chechnya or the Balkans, fearing they would bring back extremist ideology, combat experience and a thirst for regime change.
June 16, 2013 - Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune
- President Bush in Inquirer.net
On Kosovo, our position is that its status must be resolved in order for the Balkans to be stable. Secondly, we have strongly supported the Ahtisaari plan,Bush said, referring to a so-called "supervised independence" plan put forward by the...
- Condoleezza Rice in FOXNews
We believe that the resolution of Kosovo's status will really, finally, let the Balkans begin to put its terrible history behind it,Rice said Friday. "I mean, after all, we're talking about something from 1389 _ 1389! It's time to move...
- Joe Biden in Guardian Unlimited
It leaves the door open for stronger unity if and when passions cool, as we're seeing in the Balkans. Nor does the amendment call for dividing Iraq along sectarian lines,Biden said, adding that the resolution only calls for Iraqis to...