- a directed or facing toward the back or rear
a backward view
- a (used of temperament or behavior) marked by a retiring nature
a backward lover
- s retarded in intellectual development
- s having made less than normal progress
an economically backward country
- r at or to or toward the back or rear
tripped when he stepped backward
- r in a manner or order or direction the reverse of normal
it's easy to get the `i' and the `e' backward in words like `seize' and `siege'
the child put her jersey on backward
- r in or to or toward a past time
lovers of the past looking fondly backward
- On March 25, 1983, Michael Jackson took one small, backward step onto a television stage and one giant leap into dance-floor history.
- Among archaeologists, a step backward is a step forwardand last week a giant step backward was reported by British Digger James Mellaart, 31, assistant director of the British.
- The Chinese read backwards, and it doesn't seem to hurt their eyes.
News & Articles
- Dow Jones industrial average fell 353 points on Thursday, biggest drop of 2013
Wall Street had its worst day of the year Thursday and investors are now worrying that a rebounding economy could be falling backward.
June 21, 2013 - WJXT Jacksonville
- HD Remake of 'Final Fantasy XII' Possible if 'X' and 'X-2' HD Sell Well, says Producer
by Joseph Leray I was musing recently about the concept of backward compatibility. Specifically, it struck me that the PlayStation 2 may still be the finest example of the concept in terms of execution and scope, a feature that Sony promptly dropped when it released the PlayStation 3. Here's my dirty secret, though: my PlayStation [...]
June 20, 2013 - MTV
- Working backward: Computer-aided design of zeolite templates
Taking a page from computer-aided drug designers, researchers have developed a computational method that chemists can use to tailor the properties of zeolites, one of the world's most-used industrial minerals. The method allows chemists to work backward by first considering the type of zeolite they wish to make and then creating the organic template needed to produce it.
June 18, 2013 - Science Daily
- John McCain in FOXNews
No matter who wins this election, the direction of this country is going to change dramatically. But, the choice is between the right change and the wrong change; between going forward and going backward,McCain said. "The wrong change...
- Barack Obama in San Jose Mercury News
Obama added that he also had "a belief that we need to look forward as opposed to looking backward."
- Robert Gates in Austin American-Statesman (subscription)
However, I have decided that, at this moment in our history, the nation, our men and women in uniform and Gen. Pace himself would not be well served by a divisive ordeal,Gates said. "It would be a backward-looking and very contentious...