- Detective Philip Marlowe is full of tough backchat ("Cracking wise," he would call it).
- In the first groups she entered, Jane felt dismissed as an "uptight Easterner" and got off some bitchy backchat: "You don't interest me as much as I seem to interest you.
- I need a guy who can backchat like Fred Allen, only better, and get hit on the head with a beer truck and think some cutie in the leg-line topped him with a breadstick.
- Jacqui Smith in BBC News
Schools minister Jacqui Smith said: "The government has made tackling poor behaviour a major priority. We want a zero-tolerance approach to disruptive behaviour in all our schools on everything from backchat to bullying or violence. Schools must...
- Bryan Robson in guardian.co.uk
West Brom were in turn said to be staggered by Mourinho's behaviour although Robson said last night: "You get backchat between opposing managers and their benches at most games. Yesterday was no different."
- Shami Chakrabarti in Mirror.co.uk
Shami Chakrabarti, of pressure group Liberty, said: "We don't need to give the police carte blanche to go around throwing people in cells for things like dropping litter. Anyone who gives a bit of backchat now risks being hauled off to a police...