- n a raised vertical board with basket attached; used to play basketball
he banked the shot off the backboard
- n a board used to support the back of someone or something
- In practice, he stands idly under the backboard sucking on a lollipop, dropping ball after ball into the 10-ft.
- On the occasions when the ball does get past him, Bill gets back to the backboard so fast that more often than not he still gets his hand in front of the rim to spoil a score.
- Now comes Yao Mingand all the ill-conceived clichs about those strange Chinese have been shattered like a glass backboard after a monstrous slam dunk.
- Mario Chalmers in International Herald Tribune
I kind of had a feeling in my heart that it wasn't going in because the way he shot it. It looked like he was leaning to the left a little bit,Kansas guard Mario Chalmers said. "When I turned back, I saw it hit the backboard. I was just...
- Bo Ryan in San Jose Mercury News
Neitzel is the one that turned the game around,Ryan said. "When that last one went in after it rattled, came out, hit the bracket, hit the backboard and rolled in, I just give people credit."
- Caron Butler in Milwaukee Channel.com
I banged my right hand on the backboard, and I immediately felt a great deal of pain,Butler said. "I am really disappointed because we finally had everyone back from injuries for the playoff run. I am going to stay positive and continue to...