- s exceptionally bad or displeasing
an awful voice
- s causing fear or dread or terror
the awful war
an awful risk
- a offensive or even (of persons) malicious
- s inspired by a feeling of fearful wonderment or reverence
awful worshippers with bowed heads
- s extreme in degree or extent or amount or impact
- s inspiring awe or admiration or wonder
this sea, whose gently awful stirrings seem to speak of some hidden soul beneath"- Melville
- r used as intensifiers
I'm awful sorry
- Spooked by the success of premium small cars from Mercedes-Benz, GM elected to rebadge its awful mass-market J-platform sedans, load them up with chintzy fabrics and accessories .
- Cheap and incredibly deprived with vacuum-operated windshield wipers, no less the Gremlin was also awful to drive, with a heavy six-cylinder motor and choppy, unhappy .
- Hypochondriacs live in constant terror that they are dying of some awful disease, or even several awful diseases at once.
News & Articles
- Victor Butler injury: Where do Saints go from here?
The New Orleans Saints were handed awful news Wednesday. Offseason free-agent signing Victor Butler was diagnosed with a torn ACL, ending his 2013 season before he even entered training camp with his new team. Butler was expected to give the Saints' defense, which gave up more yards than any defense in NFL history last season, a much-needed pass-rushing boost under new defensive coordinator Rob ...
June 13, 2013 - SB Nation
- What's it like trying to profile Incarcerated Bob, the most mysterious and awful man in the sports-g
What's it like trying to profile Incarcerated Bob, the most mysterious and awful man in the sports-gambling-and-rumor business? Terrifying, reports David Purdum. [ David Purdum Sports ]
June 12, 2013 - Deadspin
- Awful Argentinian Player Enzo Jimenez Red Carded for Throwing Dog Against Fence
Being a completely awful person will most definitely get you a red card. Big Lead spotted a video that is tough to watch, featuring an Argentinian soccer player by the name of Enzo Jimenez grabbing a dog by the neck and tossing him against a fence that surrounds the pitch. Thankfully, as Big Lead points out, the dog appears to land on the ground and run away as unscathed as we can hope ...
June 11, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- Kurt Rambis in The Associated Press
You look at the teams that have an awful lot of cap space, there could be a lot of power shifting in this league,Minnesota coach Kurt Rambis said.
- Max Clifford in Reuters
Her publicist Max Clifford said she would "be remembered as a young girl who has, and who will, save an awful lot of lives. She was a very, very brave girl," he said in a statement to media. "And she faced her death in the way she faced her...
- Doc Rivers in ESPN
Well, there's a lot of crying in our locker room, a lot of people who care. I don't think there was a dry eye,Rivers said. "A lot of hugs, a lot of people feeling awful. That's a good thing, it means everybody cared."