autocracy : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a political system governed by a single individual
- n a political theory favoring unlimited authority by a single individual
- Here's how Edison Chen, one of the young rebels challenging the autocracy of amiability, describes it: "No sex.
- As an autocracy, moreover, Beijing can act with unparalleled efficiency for good, as shown in the massive rescue operation after the recent earthquake.
- Those who came late to Wilsonian autocracy are familiar only with the brooding mandarin, ominously reminiscent of Sydney Greenstreet contemplating the bust of the Maltese falcon.
News & Articles
- Outside View: The third Russian Revolution
Washington (UPI) Jun 12, 2013 Make no mistake: On the current trajectory, Russia won't be immune to many of the forces that provoked the so-called colored revolutions in adjacent states and even the misnomered Arab Awakening. A third Russian revolution is unfolding. The only questions are when will that revolution reach a critical mass and, most importantly, will the forces of autocracy or ...
June 12, 2013 - Space War
- Pipes: The good news in Turkey
How to interpret the recent unrest on the streets of Istanbul and about 50 other Turkish cities? Specifically, is it comparable to the Arab uprisings over the last 2 1/2 years in Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Syria, Yemen and Bahrain?On one level, they appear unrelated, for Turkey is a more advanced country, with a democratic culture and a modern economy. But two connections --- autocracy and Syria ...
June 6, 2013 - Athens Banner-Herald
- William Lyon Mackenzie King in 570 News
To which King replied at the time: "May I ask what is the one check by Parliament on a possible autocracy . . . other than when a government brings in a measure, and is defeated, the government must regard itself as no longer possessing the...
- chairman Prachanda in Sydney Morning Herald
Maoist rebels chief Prachanda, who uses only one name, said Gyanendra's moves smacked of "medieval feudal autocracy", the Indian news agency said quoting a statement from the rebel group in Nepali capital Kathmandu.
- Sher Bahadur Deuba in AFP
The other candidate for premier who Prachanda defeated, veteran centrist politician Sher Bahadur Deuba, warned the ex-rebels that they would not be allowed to "incline towards autocracy."