- n the burning to death of heretics (as during the Spanish Inquisition)
- Declaring a personal auto-da-fe WNEW-TV's usually commonsensical critic Stewart Klein declared that he wished to burn Lincoln Center's Vivian Beaumont Theater and Director .
- He performs an auto-da-fe in front of the residence of Theresa LePore, the Palm Beach supervisor of elections, a Democrat.
- The auto-da-fethe parade and ritual sentencing of Jews and heretics, sometimes followed by spectacular public burnings was not abolished in Lisbon until 1765.
News & Articles
- GOP: Stop being so negative, show interest in governing
Posted Oct. 27, 2013, at 12:30 p.m. The American political class is facing a perfect storm of public contempt. Congressional Republicans have proved themselves divided and incapable of adopting a coherent strategy, with a significant minority determined to light the way with an auto-da-fe.
Oct. 27, 2013 - Bangor Daily News
- Julia Morris in Sydney Morning Herald
When I first started, I did a lot of late shows,Morris says. "Incredibly pissed people would come in, and they were coming for an auto-da-fe. They just wanted to hear swear words and see some tits, basically. And they wanted to take you...
- Jonathan Sacks in Jerusalem Post
As British Chief Rabbi Jonathan Sacks said in a speech in 2004: "Think only of the words Europe's treatment of the Jews added to the vocabulary of mankind: exile, expulsion, inquisition, auto-da-fe, ghetto, pogrom - and the word for which there is...