- n the capital and largest city of Greece; named after Athena (its patron goddess)
- n a town in southeast Ohio
- n a university town in northeast Georgia
- Jacques Rogge in Independent Online
Cape Town had a very credible bid in 1997 when it finished third behind Athens and Rome (for the 2004 Games),said IOC president Jacques Rogge.
- Veronica Campbell in CNN
I'm satisfied with my race,said Campbell, the reigning 200 Olympic champion. "I train very hard and I hope to stay healthy in order to achieve my goal in Beijing. I adore Athens, I run my best races here."
- Misty May-Treanor in Globe and Mail
Ever since the ball dropped in Athens, we've wanted to repeat as Olympic champions,May-Treanor said. "No one's ever done it."