- n the sun (or solar disc) which was the deity of a monotheistic cult under the Pharaoh Akhenaten
- The Pharaoh even changed his name to Akhenaten or "one who serves Aten.
- The Pharaoh even changed his name to Akhenaten--or "one who serves Aten.
- In fact, he changed his own name to Akhenaten, meaning Useful to Aten.
News & Articles
- The Visual Trick Behind James Turrell’s Latest LED Trip “Aten Reign”
A master of perceptual manipulation, Turrell’s luminous installations are being exhibited simultaneously in three cities this summer. Aten Reign opens at the Guggenheim today. Is there anything we take for granted more than natural light? It’s all around us and yet mostly invisible. We’re usually awestruck when we do notice the light, which may be why there are so many Instagram photos of ...
June 21, 2013 - Fast Company Magazine
- James Turrell's first solo exhibition in a New York museum since 1980 opens at the Guggenheim
James Turrell, Rendering for Aten Reign, 2013. Daylight and LED light. Site-specific installation, Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York© James Turrell. Rendering: Andreas Tjeldflaat, 2012 © Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation.
June 21, 2013 - Art Daily
- James Turrell at the Guggenheim
James Turrell's immersive Aten Reign opens at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum on June 21, transforming the iconic rotunda into a vortex of light and color.
June 20, 2013 - Architectural Record