- n a condition in which insufficient or no oxygen and carbon dioxide are exchanged on a ventilatory basis; caused by choking or drowning or electric shock or poison gas
- Much of the controversy surrounding the Porto trial hinged upon whether sexual asphyxia would have been part of a teenage girl's erotic habits.
- Assessing the proportion of neonatal encephalopathy that is due to asphyxia during birth is difficult because of problems in defining asphyxia and neonatal encephalopathy and in .
- It's quite possible that Woolmer's death, caused according to the pathologist "due to asphyxia as a result of manual strangulation," is completely unrelated to cricket.
News & Articles
- Autopsy: Nichole Cable died of asphyxiation
The state medical examiner's office says a 15-year-old from Glenburn died last month of "asphyxia due to compression of the neck". Kyle Dube, 20, of Orono, has been charged with the murder of Nichole Cable. Her body was found in a wooded area in Glenburn on May 20 after she was reported missing on May 12. Detective Thomas Pickering of the state police said in an affidavit that Dube pretended to ...
June 14, 2013 - WMTW Portland
- Toxicology results released for boy found dead in Boone hotel
BOONE, N.C. -- Toxicology results have been released for an 11-year-old boy who died in a Boone hotel. The medical examiner says the concentration of carbon monoxide in Jeffrey Lee Williams’ blood was greater than 60 percent. He says these levels would have caused the asphyxia, which was deemed the cause of death during the boy’s autopsy. A similar concentration was found in Daryl and Shirley ...
June 14, 2013 - WCNC Charlotte
- Hotel room deaths raise carbon monoxide concerns for travelers
A trio of deaths at a hotel in Boone, N.C., two by carbon monoxide and one by asphyxia, could have travelers wondering if they should be concerned about running out of oxygen on their next vacation.“Travelers should be concerned,” said Ted Panagiotopoulos, owner of Fire & Life Safety Concepts LLC, in Wilton, Conn. “Anywhere there are fuel-fired appliances being used where you have the potenti ...
June 13, 2013 - NBC NEWS
- Mark Shields in National Post
A post-mortem showed Mr. Woolmer's death "was due to asphyxia as a result of manual strangulation," Jamaica Deputy Commissioner of Police Mark Shields said at a news conference in Kingston.
- Melinda Gates in PC Magazine
Most charts showing childhood deaths don't group all of the neonatal causes together,Gates wrote. "They are broken out into categories like birth asphyxia, pre-term births, or neonatal infection. This is partly because the field of...
- Dionysius Lardner in Times Online
- "Rail travel at high speeds is not possible because passengers, unable to breathe, would die of asphyxia," said Dionysius Lardner, an Irish scientist, in 1823.