- n the alliance of nations that fought the Axis in World War II and which (with subsequent additions) signed the charter of the United Nations in 1945
- n in World War I the alliance of Great Britain and France and Russia and all the other nations that became allied with them in opposing the Central Powers
- n an alliance of nations joining together to fight a common enemy
- n a friendly nation
- n an associate who provides cooperation or assistance
- v become an ally or associate, as by a treaty or marriage
- The antiwar sentiment among Washington's expected allies reflects a deep reservoir of skepticism and misgiving that stretches along a spectrum from immediate doubts to long-term .
- Long-suffering allies will find she brings continuity rather than change.
- McCain allies characterize this grass-roots wing of the party as slightly unhinged.
News & Articles
- U.S. Allies Weigh Response to Chemical Weapons Charge
Syria said the Obama administration was “full of lies” in alleging the use of chemical weapons, and American allies were trying to decide what to do.
June 14, 2013 - New York Times
- Allies concerned about privacy, want answers about US surveillance programs
The United States is facing concern from allies over its programs that track phone and Internet messages around the world.The European Parliament planned Tuesday to debate the spy programs revealed by Eric Snowden, who worked for contractor Booz Allen Hamilton, and whether they have violated local privacy protections.EU officials in Brussels pledged to seek answers from U.S. diplomats at a trans ...
June 11, 2013 - MSNBC
- Allies want answers about US surveillance programs
The United States is facing concern from allies over its programs that track phone and Internet messages around the world.
June 11, 2013 - NBC NEWS
- Barack Obama in Los Angeles Times
Let us renew our resolve against those who perpetrated this barbaric act and who plot against us still,Obama said Friday. "In defense of our nation we will never waver. In pursuit of Al Qaeda and its extremist allies, we will never...
- David Petraeus in The Associated Press
After years of war, we have arrived at a critical moment,Petraeus said. "We must demonstrate to the Afghan people â€” and to the world â€” that al-Qaida and its network of extremist allies will not be allowed to once again...
- John McCain in Reuters
Our leaders are expected to leave partisanship at the door and come to the table to solve our problems. Senator Obama and his allies in Congress infused unnecessary partisanship into the process,McCain said during a campaign stop in Iowa.