allegory : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a short moral story (often with animal characters)
- n a visible symbol representing an abstract idea
- n an expressive style that uses fictional characters and events to describe some subject by suggestive resemblances; an extended metaphor
- Both an allegory of individualism and a heart-tearing psychological drama, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest manages to be uplifting without giving an inch to the seductions of .
- Occasionally, unexpectedly, history consents to disguise itself as allegory, and China, which traffics in grand impersonals, has often led the world in mass-producing symbols in .
- Adapted from a cheesy '70s Star Wars clone of the same name, Galactica (returning in January) is a ripping sci-fi allegory of the war on terror, complete with religious .
News & Articles
- Book of verse by Kipling on the silent auction block in Redlands
Allegory, verse, folktales and a circus tale for children are featured in the current silent auction of old and rare books sponsored by the Friends of the A.K. Smiley Public Library in Redlands.
June 22, 2013 - Redlands Daily Facts
- Do You Shy Away From This Painting Approach?
Figurative realism and allegory go hand in hand. Allegories—complex narratives built on layers of symbolism—are what allow works by Caravaggio, Titian, Bernini, Dürer, and Vermeer to carry resonance and remain intriguing centuries after they were created. Even though the power of storytelling is well known, allegory isn't always an easy sell in our contemporary world, which may explain why some ...
June 21, 2013 - Artist Daily
- K-8 promotion ceremony
In many ways middle school is like the allegory of the cave,said Gabriel Geiger, during the Mendocino K-8 School eighth grade promotion ceremony last Thursday.
June 20, 2013 - Mendocino Beacon
- Chase Masterson in Airlock Alpha
I wasn't ever one of the fans who knows every episode and every single line,Masterson said. "I'm not a huge trivia buff. But I do understand and appreciate Star Trek for the messages and the allegory. There are big reasons why this...
- Yann Martel in Vancouver Sun
I wanted the taxidermist to be ambiguous,said Martel, 46. "His involvement with his play, the intent he has -- is it really to use the Holocaust as an allegory for what we're doing to animals? Is it to hide something of his participation...
- Simon Pegg in New York Times
Other zombie movies don't match George's eye for satire or wit,the actor Simon Pegg wrote in an e-mail message. "Even films such as '28 Days Later,' which I really enjoyed, delivered the allegory but with a very straight face. George seems...