- They can spawn red tides and other harmful algal blooms that rob oxygen from the water, killing sea life.
- Scientists believe algal growth is speeded up by the runoff of agricultural fertilizers.
- Massive algal blooms are turning Florida Bay into pea soup.
News & Articles
- Water experts, advocates gather in Riverhead
Pollution from underground septic tanks are entering Long Island’s groundwater and feeding algal blooms, which are killing the ecology of local bays, experts have long maintained.
June 21, 2013 - The Riverhead News-Review
- Solarvest Announces US Patent Application: Organic Omega 3 Algal Products
SOLARVEST BIOENERGY INC. announces that it has filed a patent to protect its unique process for the algal-based production of a line of highly purified Omega 3 products. This patent pending process will ...
June 19, 2013 - Marketwired via Yahoo! Finance
- Aurora Algae Expands Patent Portfolio, Accelerates Biotech Innovation
HAYWARD, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aurora Algae has received a Notice of Allowance from the United States Patent and Trademark Office for U.S. Patent Application Serial No. 12/480,635 entitled “VCP-Based Vectors for Algal Cell Transformation.” This allowed application adds to Aurora Algae’s existing patent portfolio, with 12 patent applications now either issued or allowed with the USPTO, and 30 ...
June 19, 2013 - Business Wire
- James Lovelock in Melbourne Herald Sun
Sydney is heading for another long hot summer with the biggest algal bloom Warragamba Dam has ever seen - a bloom which, contrary to all past experiences, appeared in winter and which, according to algal expert Peter Hawkins, can double every five... Michael Richardson http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Richardson&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGicwyX2CVxUZFoVjfCRrdQIotxbQ Brisbane Times http://www.google.com/url?q=http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/algal-bloom-to-flourish-over-summer/20075602-17ne.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFfaANGIItmiYEG2-BP4L3xnvRDZg Nov 2, 2007
2638 3635 algal This upper layer is almost free of algae and of nutrients and is an ocean desert," Prof Lovelock explained in an email. "We wondered if we could restore algal growth with its capacity to draw down carbon dioxide and to emit dimethyl...
- Jay Inslee in MarketWatch
I ask you to contact your Congressmen and tell them what's going on in your (algae) labs. You must become engaged with Washington, DC through work with the Algal Biomass Organization,said Inslee. "Just as the generation before us changed...