afflicted : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v cause great unhappiness for; distress
she was afflicted by the death of her parents
- v cause physical pain or suffering in
- s grievously affected especially by disease
- s mentally or physically unfit
- Balanced against all of those unmatched qualifications is one quality that has afflicted Biden for as long as anyone can remember: a persistent tendency to say silly, offensive .
- He didn't proselytize; he agreed that others similarly afflicted might lead fulfilled lives, but he rejected the claims of church and state that he must not choose to die.
- Since the 1930s, the political culture of Argentina has been afflicted by periodic spasms of covert violence, secrecy and denial.
News & Articles
- Porn Star Mr. Marcus Talks Infecting Co-Stars with Syphilis
*Pornstar Mr. Marcus (Jesse Spencer) recently opened up about his decision to “work” despite being afflicted with syphilis. He also passed the disease on to several co-stars, sources say. Last summer, the adult film industry was blindsided by a syphilis scare and shut down. Porn stars were later required to receive testing and treatment to [...]
June 14, 2013 - EURweb
- Microsoft: Uh, Don't Try Entering A Class Action Lawsuit If That Preordered Xbox One Breaks
[Image source: Mashable] Did all of the E3 hype convince you to preorder the Xbox One? Which one are you getting--the standard or the launch? Well, whichever version it is, if there's any kind of mass hardware issue similar to the one that afflicted the Xbox 360, don't expect to use the power of a [...]
June 13, 2013 - MTV
- Better Care for People with Dementia: New UMDNJ YouTube Channel Helps Family and Professional Caregivers
People afflicted with Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia have a profound need for harmony and often exhibit behavioral issues when they are experiencing internal chaos. To assist caregivers--both family and professional--with creating an atmosphere of harmony, the staff at the Comprehensive Services on Aging (COPSA) Institute for Alzheimer's Disease and Related Disorders at the ...
June 11, 2013 - Newswise
- Pope Benedict XVI in BBC News
I have come to Fatima to pray, in union with Mary and so many pilgrims, for our human family, afflicted as it is by various ills and sufferings,Benedict told the crowd.
- Gerard Arpey in New York Times
Our company continues to be severely challenged by the fuel crisis that has afflicted our entire industry, and we expect these difficulties to continue for the foreseeable future,Mr. Arpey said in a statement.
- Richard Lugar in Washington Post
Third, as Lugar said, "despite the improvements in security, the central government has not demonstrated that it can construct a top-down political accommodation for Iraq. The Iraqi government is afflicted by corruption and shows signs of sectarian...