- n the act of accepting with approval; favorable reception
its adoption by society
- n a legal proceeding that creates a parent-child relation between persons not related by blood; the adopted child is entitled to all privileges belonging to a natural child of the adoptive parents (including the right to inherit)
- n the appropriation (of ideas or words etc) from another source
- As more Chinese are adopting and with new restrictions in place on which foreigners can adopt, American adoption of Chinese children has dropped by half in the past three years.
- It was a second-parent adoption bill" that also allows unmarried heterosexuals to adopt jointly, says Colorado adoption attorney Seth Grob.
- The European Court of Human Rights' latest ruling on adoption was hailed by gay rights organizations in France and across Europe for taking on one of the many kinds of .