acute : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a mark (') placed above a vowel to indicate pronunciation
- a having or experiencing a rapid onset and short but severe course
the acute phase of the illness
- s extremely sharp or intense
felt acute annoyance
- s having or demonstrating ability to recognize or draw fine distinctions
an acute observer of politics and politicians
- a of an angle; less than 90 degrees
- s ending in a sharp point
- s of critical importance and consequence
an acute (or critical) lack of research funds
- But of all the movie moppets, Margaret O'Brien had the earliest and most acute understanding of the screen's demand for charm and craft.
- The third car had a stabilizer fin on top, which did nothing to cure the Dymaxion's acute instability in crosswinds.
- While reporting for my book Binge, I witnessed the hospitalization of several students for acute alcohol poisoning.
News & Articles
- La Porte drug deaths ruled accidental
La PORTE - Eric Day, 20, and a 17-year-old female who were found dead last week died of acute alcohol and poly-drug interaction.
June 16, 2013 - The Michigan City News-Dispatch
- Reports show opiate abuse remains problem for Massachusetts
With eastern Massachusetts leading the nation in the incidence of drug-related emergency room visits involving heroin and other opiates, medical experts are urging the use alternative pain therapies and an overdose-reversing drug to slow the deadly trend. “Admissions to the hospital for overdose is just, I think, one of the most acute and worrisome signs that we see from the growth of the number ...
June 16, 2013 - Fall River Herald News
- HMA to Provide Management Support - Analyst Blog
Health Management Associates Inc. ( HMA ), a leading operator of general acute care hospitals, recently reported that it will extend its operating and management expertise. Operating and
June 14, 2013 - Nasdaq
- Sheryl Crow in CNN
Explaining that 'the need for defense of self, family, and property is most acute' in the home, we found that this right applies to handguns because they are 'the most preferred firearm in the nation to 'keep' and use for protection of one's home... Samuel Alito http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Alito&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGIxeyUSjyffal7TFe2oLlUjRO4uQ Lakeland Times http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.lakelandtimes.com/main.asp%3FSectionID%3D9%26SubSectionID%3D9%26ArticleID%3D11597&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFEYW2FJPPVdbQ5VjM9YbD1LcMyBg Jul 6, 2010
1110 1710 acute Crow, 48, says she felt an acute sense of urgency about how I wanted my life to feel," so she started preparing to be an adoptive mother -- taking part in a home study, filling out paperwork and learning infant CPR.
- Barack Obama in Times of India
Problems in the financial markets, as acute and urgent as they are, are only a part of what threatens our economy,Obama said. "We must not use the need to confront them as an excuse to keep ignoring the long-term threats to our...