- n a bottomless gulf or pit; any unfathomable (or apparently unfathomable) cavity or chasm or void extending below (often used figuratively)
- v make amends for
- Under his hypnotic gaze, humanity crossed a threshold from which one could see the abyss.
- The investor class looked to Washington's bailout of troubled American companies as a way of righting a listing ship, one that was leaking 401(k) earnings into the abyss.
- In his first speech as President, Yahya delighted his military sponsors by declaring that the country was at "the edge of an abyss.
News & Articles
- Cameron encourages oceanic research - Wed, 12 Jun 2013 PST
Director James Cameron told a Senate panel Tuesday that federal partnerships in oceanic research are vital to understanding the oceans’ role in climate change. Cameron’s Hollywood appeal – he directed “Titanic,” “The Terminator,” “The Abyss” and “Aliens,” among others – drew a large crowd to the hearing of the Senate Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries and Coast Guard, but his work in ...
June 12, 2013 - The Spokesman-Review
- TNA Changes Segment Last Minute at Last Week's Impact Tapings
- TNA officials originally planned for Abyss and Joseph Park to appear in the same segment on last week's episode of Impact Wrestling. At one point, plans called for Abyss to come out during the segment where Devon worked over Joseph Park in the ring.
June 10, 2013 - Lords of Pain
- TNA Changes Segment Last Minute at Impact Tapings
TNA officials originally planned for Abyss and Joseph Park to appear in the same segment on last week’s episode of Impact Wrestling. At one point, plans called for Abyss to come out during the segment where Devon worked over Joseph Park in the ring.
June 10, 2013 - The Wrestling News Page
- John McCain in Reuters
We're no longer staring into the abyss of defeat and we can now look ahead to the genuine process of success,McCain said.
- Ayman al-Zawahri in Chicago Tribune
The people chose you due to your opposition to Bush's policy in Iraq, but it appears that you are marching with him to the same abyss,al-Zawahri said of the Democrats according to the transcript.
- Francois Fillon in Reuters India
The world is on the edge of the abyss because of an irresponsible system,Fillon said, alluding to widespread anger over past lax regulation of financial markets and excessive lending.