- n the act of abolishing a system or practice or institution (especially abolishing slavery)
the abolition of capital punishment
- Various states have since tried complete abolitionwith some, like Delaware in 1961, later returning to the death penalty.
- The reaction of many Chinese demographers, not surprisingly, has been to call for the abolition of the one-child policy, which they say has served its purpose.
- The museum's official site pays tribute to the city and its victims - included are resources for the abolition of nuclear weapons and Hiroshima's recovery, and educational .
News & Articles
- Nepal sets first post-monarchy elections for November 19
By Gopal Sharma KATHMANDU (Reuters) - Nepal's first national elections since the abolition of the 239-year-old monarchy will be held on November 19, the government said on Thursday, raising hopes for stability in the Himalayan nation that has lurched from one crisis to another. Nepal is recovering from a decade-long civil war that ended in 2006 and struggles with a fragile economy, crippling ...
June 13, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- The 32nd Annual Juneteenth Folklife Celebration
It's one of the oldest known celebration to African Americans across the country and people in Acadana can celebrate on Saturday. It's called Juneteenth and celebrates the abolition of Slavery. Texas was the first southern state to abolish slavery after the civil war. Now people in Acadiana celebrate that heritage. Art, pictures, music, customs and antiques all these are part of the Juneteenth ...
June 13, 2013 - KATC 3 Lafayette
- City to commemorate 148th anniversary of abolition of slavery
Delray Beach residents can celebrate the 148th anniversary of the abolition of slavery with Juneteenth celebrations at Pompey Park and a fundraiser for the Spady Cultural and Heritage Museum.
June 12, 2013 - Sun-Sentinel
- Tadatoshi Akiba in PRESS TV
The abolition of nuclear weapons is the will not only of the hibakusha but also of the vast majority of people and nations on this planet,said Akiba, as he delivered a peace declaration.
- Mitt Romney in Bloomberg
Romney said churches in the US share a "common creed of moral convictions," while he acknowledged theological differences. "Whether it was the cause of abolition, or civil rights, or the right to life itself, no movement of conscience can...
- William G. Sinkford in Alton Telegraph
I believe the bicentenary offers us a chance not just to say how profoundly shameful the slave trade was - how we condemn its existence utterly and praise those who fought for its abolition - but also to express our deep sorrow that it could ever... Tony Blair http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Blair&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFrasCBCQNLoiRZGTcJYVnJN2a4xw USA Today http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2006-11-27-blair-slave-trade_x.htm&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNE53u6HiwJA60nCoBkYObz2UvvE-w Nov 27, 2006
256 620 abolitionism This has been our mission since the early days of abolitionism, continuing through women's suffrage, the civil rights movement and our current advocacy on behalf of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons," Sinkford said.