abolish : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v do away with
Slavery was abolished in the mid-19th century in America and in Russia
- Once again there is a movement on to amend the Senate rules so as to abolish filibustering, whereby a " small group of wilful men" can talk an important bill to death at the end.
- With Reagan and Thatcher in power, the application of judicious pressure on the Soviet state to encourage it to reform or abolish itself, or to implode, became an admissible policy.
- In an effort to abolish Canada's government-sanctioned seal hunts, in which pups as young as 12 days are fair game to get clubbed to death, the Humane Society of the United States has gone and appealed to the people of Canada.
News & Articles
- Pa. Senate votes to abolish Philadelphia Traffic Court
A bill to abolish Philadelphia's traffic court, where a federal investigation led to criminal charges for alleged ticket-fixing, passed the Legislature on Tuesday and was sent to Gov. Tom Corbett, who signaled he intends to sign it.
June 12, 2013 - WPVI 6abc Philadelphia
- Ted Cruz wants to abolish the IRS
WASHINGTON, DC – Tea party, poster boy Ted Cruz is causing a ruckus in D.C. “I think we ought to abolish the IRS,” says the freshman senator. Nobody likes the IRS — especially with recent admissions of bias — but …
June 12, 2013 - CW39 NewsFix
- Corbett gets bill to abolish Philly traffic court
A bill to abolish Philadelphia's scandal-plagued traffic court is on its way to the desk of Gov. Tom Corbett, and his office says he'll sign it.
June 11, 2013 - WTRF Wheeling
- Gary Bettman in New York Times
I don't think there's any appetite to abolish fighting from the game,Bettman said.
- George Osborne in UK Net Guide
What we are proposing is a new system of regulation that learns the lessons of the greatest banking crisis in our lifetime,Mr Osborne said. "I can confirm that the government will abolish the tripartite regime, and the Financial Services...
- Ferdinand Porsche in Forbes
Porsche said it assumed "that the European Court of Justice would confirm the invalidity of the VW law and so cause the German government to change or abolish this law."